Waffles are a favourite choice for breakfast or dessert. Much like pancakes, they are made from batter. While pancakes can easily be cooked on a griddle or frying pan, waffles require a specific appliance to create its signature honey comb look. Here is where a waffle maker comes in. In this post, I have discussed how to use a waffle maker as a pro for the perfect waffles.
These days, waffles are all-time snacks whether, in a family or business setting, you just need a waffle iron to prepare your own recipes. In many cafes, restaurants and large kitchens in hotels the demand for waffles tends to be quite high. For this high traffic environment, a commercial-grade waffle maker is the best equipment to do the job.
A commercial waffle maker is just a bigger, larger capacity appliance than what you regularly find in domestic households. They can cook more than one waffle at a time and can be used for longer hours. Using a commercial waffle maker or waffle iron is straight forward and easy to operate.
Firstly, you need to prepare your batter. In large kitchens, batter may be prepared in advance in a large quantity. Most waffle recipes include the following ingredients:
- Baking Powder
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
Mix and measure your ingredients according to how many waffles you intend to make. Once you have your batter ready follow these easy steps:
- Preheat the waffle maker. Most models have non stick coatings on the iron. If your waffle maker is not of the nonstick variety, don’t worry. Apply some cooking spray, melted butter or oil on the iron as a preventative measure.
- If the model of waffle maker you own has an indicator light, it will come on to signal that the iron is properly heated
- Using a spoon or measuring cup, gently pour the batter in a spiral motion unto the iron
- Let it settle and simmer for a few seconds before closing down the lid to start the main cooking process
- Wait until you see steam emerging or if your waffle maker’s indicator light comes on. This is the signal that the waffles are done cooking
- Remove the waffles with a silicone spatula and plate them. Add honey, maple syrup, whipped cream or fruits to complete the dish.
- Repeat to serve up some more if needed
You can try many different batter recipes to experiment with a variety of flavours. You can also use other ingredients such as shredded potatoes and cheese to make waffle hash browns.
Waffle makers are very versatile and easy to use and maintain whether it is for commercial or home use. After you’ve cooked all the waffles you need, let the waffle maker cool down before cleaning. Clean up any spilled batter using a damp washcloth.
To protect the coating on the waffle irons don’t scrape or use an aluminum scrub to remove any leftover or stuck batter. Instead, you can use a cloth soaked in dish soap to soften the debris for easier removal. After cleaning, use a dry cloth to absorb any remaining moisture then close down the waffle iron for safe storage. It’s a simple process to create delicious waffles!
If you already own a waffle iron machine and want to learn how to use a waffle maker, this infographic is for you.